Friday, February 11, 2005

Hearts and Chains and Locks - Valentine Jewelry Making

On the weekend before Valentines day, I can always count on at least a few hopeless souls, wandering into the shop at the end of the day, a desperate look in his eyes. Searching for a gift for his Valentine.

I wanted to bring some special things in to the shop this weekend, especially for a gift.

Well, I ended up only making half, or less than half, of what I planned. But it was fun. First, I started with a stash of old cast-iron lockplates I have. They are the perfect size for a pendant. Since they are a keyhole, they seemed to be half of a toggle clasp. Just need a key for the other half, right? Well, they didn't work quite right as a clasp, but I do enjoy the look, but I created a bracelet anyway.




Then I needed some earrings to go with it.



I made a few other things with the keys.




I really wanted that keyhole as a pendant, at the base of the throat. I played with some beads and found two glass hearts to hold it on either side. I used French silver wire to cover the stringing wire that would have been exposed there. I found a combination of mostly black onyx and glass beads, with a few fun red and white. The back half of the necklace is two strands of matte seed beads. I LOVE this. I might just have to wear it on Valentine's Day, if I don't sell it before that.

My pictures don't ever do justice to the sunlight on glass or gemstones.

While I was searching for beads for the above necklace, I designed another necklace. That's always happens. I loved these little red glass hearts. They are almost spooky, they are so blood like - red with an orange tinge. And the sun shines beautiful in them. I came across these blue large hole beads that match them in hue. Since they all fit on a black rubber cord, All I had to do was add another key in the center.


There are several other themes I had hoped to cover this week. But I've run out of a week! I did manage to get one more bracelet created, that I have thought about for almost a year! I bought this carved coral carp in February of last year, from my good friend who sells in a gallery next to mine. I can't wait to show her, I found a home for it, amongst some natural jade beads that I had also bought from her, and big fake pearls.


Hope everyone has a special Valentine's day.

No comments: