Saturday, February 21, 2009








Calder Jewelry Exhibit Inspires Brass Bangings!


The very soon to be over exhibit of Calder's jewelry at the Met soooo inspired me this winter! I love brass and Calder did too. It is very hard to make jewelry and not want to try some of his designs. They are often simple and yet stunning.

So, here are a few bangings I've been doing. The M initial pin is almost an exact copy. Just for myself. The original Calder's were huge, this one isn't so big. And I did a bit of a matte finish on the brass. Calder used sterling or iron for the pins themselves. The contrast of the dark metal with the brass is interesting. I tried just using brass.

The spike necklace is perhaps not done. Calder made one with a spike between every ball of the "plumber's chain". Those spikes are over 4 inches. Calder's jewelry was BIG and often unwearable. I find that so inspiring. Should I leave this necklace with the few spikes in the front that is more wearable, or make the sunburst of a necklace that is totally art and amazing and not quite wearable?

Well, these are like drawings, little studies in the style of a great artist.

Is that a tiara for a little bird, or an over the top brass ring? Depends on your perspective, I suppose. It was a fun ring to create. I made it quickly in between pounding the necklace spikes. Calder made some lovely flower blossom necklaces and tiaras. I didn't see any rings exactly like this, but it is inspired by him. It's very light and easy to wear. Banging it made it nice and strong. I think I'll experiment and expand on this design. Some earrings to be added too.

Hope you're having a nice weekend!

2 comments:

ClassicWall said...

you are doing great work, I enjoyed looking at your site

NKW

Unknown said...

Wow great collection, definitely it is something different Necklaces, which is suitable to today rough-&-tough world. Estate Rings