Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Try Something You've Never Done Before




I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
-Pablo Picasso

The last few weeks have been frustrating for me. I am always trying out new ideas and sometimes the final product is not what I was attempting. These "challenges" seem to come in clusters and so, I've had one disappointment after another recently. When you are working with found objects or just trying something new, there's often no clear cut method. It takes so much experimenting to not only get the technique, but to then get it to do what you need.

It is difficult sometimes to go against the norm. If only a simple clasp or a traditional setting were all I needed to complete a piece of jewelry, life would be so simple. But, there is something inside me that just doesn't see the purpose of creating another piece of jewelry that you've seen a million times before. I always have to be different and so do my creations. Believe me, this does not make life easy, even though it does make it interesting.

I was feeling a bit disjointed today, eyeing all my unfinished projects, when I saw the above quote from Picasso.

Picasso was always trying out new styles and techniques. So, he must have always been doing things he did not know how to do. He did them anyway, and kept on doing them, because he wanted to learn how to do them.

This quote inspired me to take a fresh look at some of my recent unfinished projects. And do you know what? They all came together. I see a solution. I can combine the different techniques I've been working on to get exactly what I was aiming for.

I'm off to do this now. Meanwhile, I hope the quote inspires you too. Don't be afraid to try something you've never done, it's the only way you'll learn how to do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LAUREN COLE ABRAMS said...

what a great quote...I'm going to do something tomorrow that I've never done....thanks!