Thursday, June 25, 2009



Escape from the Ordinary

I was supposed to be working on some rings this week. But the Esc key pendant that I started a few weeks ago kept bugging me. So, I let the plans drop to heed the call of the Muse.

This is a sterling silver square that I textured with a hammer and other items of destruction. The sawed out circle has a brass collar. The focus is the Esc key from an old computer. My way of recycling. The keys are very high for jewelry, so I had to saw the plastic key in half. And the shape of the key is difficult for this type of bezel setting. I will try a different method for my next computer key. There's a copper "scrap" with two tiny 1.5mm Cubic Zirconias in a burnished setting. I love the way they sink into the copper and contast with it.

I will put this on a simple brown suede cord.

Wearing this, I will state my desire to escape from the ordinary that surrounds me. My jewelry, too, I hope will escape from that. Some people find comfort in the common, but I feel stifled and bored with it. So, I'll continue to listen to the Muse. I'll work on more designs to recycle computer keys, so that I can offer a line to my customers soon. I know my customers are always looking for a way to state their uniqueness. Soon, we will all escape from the common.

No comments: