Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I HEART IKE
Today's Inspiration - Common Postage Stamps
Found Object Art Jewelry Earrings


This is what I like to do - challenge myself to create jewelry from the commonest materials. Some call it trashion. Some call it found object art. They also call it recycling and upcycling.

My challenge today was to use postage stamps. I took a big bag of saved, used stamps and sorted through them. I kept throwing Ike (President Eisenhower) into a bigger and bigger pile. He was the commonest of the batch I had. So - he deserves a glass heart. His campaign motto was I LIKE IKE. But these days, I think he'd get a heart instead.

These earrings are double-sided. There is Ike in mulberry, which matches the dangling heart. And there is the dark side of Ike - a deep gray. These are laminated and the holes are hand riveted. The charm adds some weight, but they are light. I love the way they flutter, showing both sides of Ike.

I really enjoyed making these. They'll be added to the Chelsea Collection soon. There are so many other stamps I could use. Do you have a special request? Let me know - these are easy to customize. If I don't have the stamps, you can send them to me - on the outside of the envelope!

No comments: