Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Pirate Secret Treasure Map Ring EBSQ 3D Show Entry - Amethyst Lobster Unique Jewelry




Sometimes I think that it is in learning and embracing my limitations rather than my skills, that I am able to create my best work.

Here is a story about my latest creation.

My son loves pirates and rings. He has several replicas of Captain Jack Sparrow's beautiful rings. One boring day I offered to try to make him a ring. We looked through some books, hoping to find something within my abilities. We came across a picture of Steve Midgett's $100 dollar ring. Hmm.. I don't want to use a $100 bill to make a ring, I said. What else is made of paper, but could be recognized for what it is, even when folded so small? A map!, we both yelled at the same time! A treasure map, like a pirates, like the rolls of extra wallpaper we have behind the basement door! This is how found object art jewelry is made!

I then needed a way to create a connection that would be both comfortable, as it's pressed against the finger, but also completely removable, so the map could be unfolded. I can imagine the pirate removing the ring and undoing it, by candlelight. Perhaps there's a secret message or love poem written on the reverse? Or a picture of a key?

I tried several different methods but none were quite right. My connection solution was finally realized when I found a tiny earrings stud of malachite that has lost it's mate. I snipped the post, filed the end and used a comfortable plastic earring back to secure. It is just right and is very secure.

I singed the edges of the map, for a dramatic final touch. The map can be unfolded and then refolded and connected. Currently entered into the EBSQ 3D paper show.


The ring is on the Amethyst Lobster Unique Jewelry from Lobster Lu here.

No comments: